August 20, 2013
MUSIC PERFORMANCE TRUST FUND
Your group may be eligible for funding through the Music Performance Trust Fund.
The Music Performance Trust Fund (MPTF), a non-profit, tax-exempt public service organization under section 501 (c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Headquartered in New York City, MPTF is the world’s largest sponsor of live, admission-free musical programs. Last year, MPTF presented over 1,600 performances to the people of the United States and Canada. Millions of people in major U.S. and Canadian cities and villages enjoyed instrumental music of high quality without having to buy a ticket or belong to an organization in order to gain admittance. There is never an admission charge for MPTF performances, and its performances cannot be used to raise money, sell merchandise, or promote political or religious events
Venues include (but are not limited to) parks, schools, concert halls, shopping malls, veterans hospitals, nursing homes, at patriotic, charitable, educational, civic and other events that are not commercial, political or religious.
WHAT TO DO:
Contract with a venue to provide a music performance that is Free and Open to the Public.
Obtain a Sponsor to help pay the musicians for the performance. The sponsor can be the venue itself, or an outside source.
MPTF currently will provide 30% of the musicians’ fees for a general performance, 40% of fees for performances in hospitals or nursing homes, and 50% of fees for performances in schools. Sponsors are responsible for the remaining fees.
Instructions for Submitting a Request for Funding from MPTF
There are 3 forms for this process.
1) MPTF requires that a “Terms and Conditions” form be signed by the sponsor of the performance. All information is submitted online and we must have all signed forms to scan for the application to be processed. Terms & Conditions Form 2017
2) W-9 form to be filled out by the sponsor and/or the person responsible of being the employer of record. Company and/or person must have a Federal Tax I.D. number. The Sponsor will be paying the musicians for their performance.
3) Page # 2. This office must be notified that the performance has actually taken place. At that point “Page 2” will be submitted to MPTF for processing the payment to the sponsor.
1) MPTF receives your request online. They review it and make sure it fits the guidelines (amount of performance, type of music, w-9, Terms and Conditions form signed, date of performance and location is filled out, etc. etc).
2) If all is correct MPTF indicates online that it has been approved or declined.
3) If approved, once the performance has taken place inform Carol and she will complete “Page 2” for MPTF. MPTF then processes page #2 for payment. Checks will be sent to information submitted on the w-9 form.
Please let your sponsor know they will be receiving a check from MPTF for their performance.
Contact Carol Hawkins at 202-337-9325 for more information.